In accordance with its mission, the Library
- collects materials to support the University's undergraduate and graduate programs and
- comprehensively collects deaf-related materials.
The collections include
- 210,000+ print volumes
- 1,000+ print journal subscriptions
- 8,000 VHS and DVD videos
- 623,000+ microforms
- 320,000+ electronic books
- 50,000+ electronic journal subscriptions
- 4,500+ streaming videos
- 70+ online databases
The University Archives and the Deaf Collection combine to create a comprehensive and unique treasure. These collections contain virtually all published and many unpublished materials relating to the history and culture of deaf people around the world.
Materials for the general collection are chosen primarily to support undergraduate and graduate education at Gallaudet. Specific titles are chosen by librarians who provide both general reference assistance and specialized instruction in specific subject areas. Staff members will gladly accept suggestions for additions to the collection.