This is the "U.S." page of the "FAQ: Places named for deaf people" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

FAQ: Places named for deaf people   Tags: deaf, faq  

This guide attempts to provide a selected listing on places known to have been named after deaf individuals.
Last Updated: Feb 18, 2015 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

U.S. Print Page

Contact a librarian

I'm not the only librarian who can help you. Please use the information below to contact the Library's Service Desk.

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.


Videophone 202-779-9478

Help Request Form


American locations named after deaf people

The following places in the United States were named after deaf individuals:


  • Talladega
    • Alabama School for the Deaf
      • Baynes Library
        Named for Harry L. Baynes, an ASD teacher, coach, athletic director, counselor, and deaf community leader.


  • Harriet
    Originally nameless when it got its first post office, this small town is said to have been named for its first postmistress, a deaf woman named Harriet Esther Anderson.


  • Fremont
    • California School for the Deaf, Fremont
      • Birck Residence Hall
        Honors Vernon S. and Ruth Birck, long-time members of the CSD staff.
      • Crandall Hall
        Named for the California School's first deaf teacher.
      • D'Estrella Auditorium
        Theophilus Hope d'Estrella was an early CSD pupil and also taught there for 53 years; he was a noted professional photographer.
      • Grady Hall
        This high school boys' residence is named for Theodore Grady, first deaf person to earn a degree at the University of California, and who later became one of the first deaf lawyers.
      • Howsom Gymnasium
        Commemorates James W. Howsom (?-1941), another CSD graduate and teacher and long-time deaf community leader.
      • Lindstrom Hall
        Honors Annie Lindstrom, another CSD graduate.
      • Norton Hall
        Frances Norton was the wife of Winfield S. Runde and also a long-time CSD teacher. This building is an elementary girls' residence.
      • Runde Hall
        Winfield S. Runde was the first CSD graduate to enroll at Gallaudet College, and taught at CSD for 25 years.
      • Tilden Hall
        A vocational building, named after CSD graduate Douglas Tilden (1860-1935), a noted sculptor.


  • Los Angeles
    • John Tracy Clinic Founded in 1942 by the wife of actor Spencer Tracy and named for their deaf son John Tracy (1924- ). It is primarily an oral national and international correspondence school for hearing parents of deaf children, but does have its own building of the same name for local courses.


  • Hartford
    • Cogswell Street
      Named for Alice Cogswell (1805-1831), the first deaf pupil of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, who founded what is now the American School for the Deaf. This street is very close to the School's original location in downtown Hartford and near Asylum Street, which refers to the school's original name.
  • West Hartford
    • American School for the Deaf
      • Brewster Gymnasium
        Honors John Brewster, Jr. (1776-1854) who was a self-taught portrait painter in the early United States. When what is now the American School opened in 1817, Brewster was one of its students, and by far the oldest one at age 51. His portraits are greatly prized possessions in American art museums and collections.


  • Wilmington
    • Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
      Alfred I. duPont (1864-1935), deafened by a swimming accident in adolescence, was a member of the famous duPont industrial family. After a split with the rest of the family, he built up an independent fortune in Florida real estate and other ventures, and used his new money in various philanthropic efforts, including the founding of this children's hospital which opened in 1941, 6 years after his death.


  • Gallaudet University
    The University itself is named for a hearing person, Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, founder of the first permanent school for the deaf in America (1817, in Hartford, CT). However, several buildings, facilities, and roads on the University campus are named for deaf persons. They include:
    • Ballard House
      (House # 2 on Faculty Row). Named in memory of Melville Ballard (1839-1910), Gallaudet's first graduate and later a teacher here.
    • Ballard Residential Complex
      Also honors Melville Ballard. Named in 2001, it consists of two adjacent dormitory buildings that were formerly named Cogswell Hall and Krug Hall.
    • Carlin Hall
      (dormitory). Named for John Carlin (1813-1891), a deaf artist, writer, poet, and leader.
    • Clerc Hall
      (dormitory) is named for Laurent Clerc (1785-1869), deaf Frenchman who became the first deaf teacher of the deaf in America.
    • Cogswell Hall
      (dormitory) honored Alice Cogswell (1805-1831), the first deaf pupil of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet. In 2001, it was renamed as part of the Ballard Residential Complex.
    • Craig Street
      Memorializes Douglas Craig (?-1932), a homeless deaf Black orphan child who was found alone on the streets of Washington, was taken in by Gallaudet, and grew up to become the College's "master mechanic" for many years.
    • Denison House
      (House # 4 on Faculty Row), named in honor of James Denison (1837-1910), who taught at the Kendall School 1856-1909 and also served as its principal from 1869 to 1909.
    • Drake House
      (House #7 and #8) was named for Hartley D. Drake (1882-1962), Gallaudet graduate who managed the farm on the Gallaudet campus and taught agriculture courses here from 1911 until retirement in 1949. Drake and his family lived in this house for 24 years. Constructed in 1870 and razed in 1984, it stood just to the south of Washburn Arts Building. At some point a renovation divided the original single house into a "duplex", two houses sharing a single building, hence its later dual designation as House #7 and #8.
    • Draper Drive
      Named for Amos G. Draper (1845-1917), Gallaudet class of 1872, who then served on the faculty 1872-1917.
    • Fowler Hall
      (formerly a women's dormitory, now an office and class building; the second building of that name on the same site) commemorates Sophia Fowler (1798-1877), a deaf pupil and then wife of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and mother of Edward Miner Gallaudet, Gallaudet University's founder and first president.
    • Hanson Plaza
      recalls Agatha Tiegel Hanson (1878-1959), Gallaudet class of 1893. She was a published poet and taught at the Minnesota School for the Deaf for 6 years before marrying deaf architect Olof Hanson, another Gallaudet graduate.
    • Hotchkiss Field
      (the football field) honors John B. Hotchkiss (1845-1922), Gallaudet class of 1869 and faculty member 1869-1922; he introduced football to Gallaudet College.
    • Hoy Field,
      officially the William "Dummy" Hoy Field, is Gallaudet's baseball field, was named in 2001 in honor of the deaf professional baseball player (1862-1961) who is credited with the invention of the baseball hand signals for "strike" and "out".
    • Hughes Memorial Gymnasium
      (completed 1958, razed 1999) was named for Frederick H. Hughes (1892-1956), Class of 1913, professor, dramatics director, and coach 1915-1956. It stood just east of the Merrill Learning Center, where the new Student Academics Building presently stands.
    • Krug Hall (dormitory) memorialized Walter J. Krug (1905-1962), Class of 1927, faculty member, coach, and dean of men for many years. In 2001, it was renamed as part of the Ballard Residential Complex.
    • Lowman Street
      recognizes Alto M. Lowman (1869-1912), Gallaudet's first deaf female graduate (in 1892).
    • Peikoff Alumni House
      (also known to generations of Gallaudet students as "Ole Jim") served for over a century, never formally named, as Gallaudet's first gymnasium and then in various miscellaneous roles before being remodeled as an alumni house during the 1980s. It was named in 1995 in honor of David Peikoff (1900-1995), Class of 1929, a long-time deaf activist, especially in Gallaudet alumni affairs.
    • Peter J. Fine Infirmary
      honors an M.D. who became deaf later in life, and dedicated the rest of his life to bringing medical services to deaf people. He served as the University's staff physician for several years before his early death.
    • Theatre Malz,
      the auditorium in the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on the Gallaudet campus, was named in 1993 to honor 1943 Gallaudet graduate and long-time MSSD teacher Eric "Malz" Malzkuhn (1922?-), who was a noted amateur actor in his student days and who actively promoted drama while teaching at MSSD.
    • Thornberry Hearing and Speech Center
      (Hearing) Texas Congressman and Judge Homer L. Thornberry was an influential member of the Gallaudet College Board of Trustees, 1949-1969. This building is named in memory of his deaf mother, Mary L. Thornberry, a teacher at the Texas School for the Deaf.
    • Washburn Arts Building
      honors Cadwallader L. Washburn (1866-1965), a deaf artist especially noted for his drypoint etchings. He was also an accomplished entomologist.

    All other Gallaudet University campus buildings and other facilities bearing people's names are in honor of hearing people.

    Gallaudet University's now-closed Northwest Campus (1985-1995), on Kalmia Rd. NW in D.C., had buildings named in honor of deaf people Byron B. Burnes, Frederick C. Schreiber, and Laura Redden Searing. It is not known whether any of those names survive under the campus' new owner, a private elementary school for the hearing.

    Although the Laurent Clerc Center at Gallaudet University is named in honor of Laurent Clerc, the Center does not have a specific physical location. Rather, it is an "umbrella" name covering the University's preschool programs, the Kendall Demonstration Elementary School, the Model Secondary School for the Deaf, other pre-college research and teaching units, and all their associated buildings and other facilities.


  • Ft. Myers
    • Edison College (formerly Edison Junior College)
      Founded in 1962, this college's name commemorates the fact that deaf inventor Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) had his winter home nearby. The house is today preserved as a museum. The college also has branch campuses at LaBelle, Naples, and Punta Gorda, all in Florida.
    • Edison Mall
      A present-day shopping mall also named for Edison's winter residence nearby.


  • St. Augustine
    • The following listing is courtesy of Brendan Murphy, alumni historian.
    • Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind
      • Coleman Center
        Health care center, including audiology, psychology, medical/dental services, and admissions/intake. Named for Thomas Hines Coleman (1853-1924), founder of FSDB and head of teachers for three years before moving to South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind. Also houses the Honor Dorm for junior and senior deaf boys.
      • Eddie Gobble Pavilion
        Open space in front of James Hall. Named for Eddie Gobble (1943-1992), educator, head football coach, and administrator.
      • Hogle Facilities Service Complex
        Houses groundskeeping and building maintenance services. Named for Eugene Hogle (1890-1958), educator of deaf boys and eventually superintendent of buildings and grounds.
      • Knowles Hall
        Houses PE/recreation gym, special events, and multipurpose rooms. Named for Inez B. Knowles, educator in the Negro Department (1924-1963) and houseparent. The first Knowles Hall stood where James Hall currently stands, and the current building stands on the former site of both Gregg and James Hall dormitories.
      • Pope Hall
        Houses classrooms for deaf high school students, in addition to career education courses. Named for Artemas Pope (1877-1965), who was the first graduate of FSDB in 1898 and went on to work as a reporter for the St. Augustine Record, before returning to FSDB as a printing teacher after his retirement in 1943. The original building site is currently a parking lot; the new building site is in the center of campus, surrounding the McClure Center.
      • Rhyne Hall
        Currently housing high school deaf boys. Named after Mary R. Rhyne, a dorm teacher.
      • Cary A. White, Sr. Complex
        Houses students with special needs from both Blind and Deaf departments, including a cafeteria, classrooms, and dorms. Named for Cary A. White (1900-1983), the first African-American graduate of FSDB in 1922.


  • Dade County
    • Lookout Mountain
      • Camp Juliette Low
        In the far northwest corner of the state; founded about 1922 by deafened Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low (1860-1927) and built on a site personally selected by her. In the 1930s, it became independent from the Girl Scouts of America and still is an independent, private, non-profit summer camp for girls aged 7-17.


  • Owyhee County
    • Deaf Jim Creek
      In the southwest corner of the state; a creek arising out of a spring. Possibly named for the same "Deaf Jim" whose name also appears in two Montana sites, though just who "Deaf Jim" was appears to be lost to history. Though the two states are adjacent, the Montana sites are not contiguous with this Idaho creek, and are entirely separate.


  • Jacksonville
    • Illinois School for the Deaf
      • Molohon Vocational Building
        Commemorates Henry A. Molohon (?-1957), who was connected with the School for 66 years as student, houseparent, and woodworking instructor.
      • Selah Wait Building
        Honors Selah Wait, one of the founders of the ISD Alumni Association who also taught for 34 years at the School.


  • Gallaudet
    Although not named for a deaf person, and no longer in existence, this short-lived town is worthy of note for being named in honor of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, founder of the first permanent school for the deaf in America. This tiny town was located on a railroad line about 10 miles southeast of downtown Indianapolis, and had its own post office 1854-1903, but disappeared from maps soon after the post office closed. Today, its anonymous site has been swallowed up by the spreading suburbs of Indianapolis.
  • Indianapolis
    • Indiana School for the Deaf
      • Ola Mary Brown Cafeteria,
      • Lester C. Stanfill Vocational Building
      • William Willard Unit
        This a dormitory honoring the school's deaf founder, first teacher, and principal (1809-1888).
      • Matthew S. Moore, alumni of Indiana School of the Deaf.
            Founder and president of MSM Productions, Ltd. and Deaf Life Press, and the publisher of DEAF LIFE   
    • Willard Park
      A City of Indianapolis public park, located on the former site of the Indiana School for the Deaf at State and Washington Streets. Its name commemorates deaf ISD founder William Willard.
  • Mississnewa Reservoir and State Park, in Grant and Miami Counties
    • Sheppaconnah Trail
      This state park near Peru, Indiana has a 2.5 mile hiking trail named for a Native American, Shepoconah (?-1833; name also spelled Sheppaconnah, Shepoconnah, Shepahcannah, She-pan-can-ah, She-po-con-ah, She-bak-o-nah, and other variations). He was a chief of the Miami Indians, living near present-day Peru. He is best known for being the husband of Frances Slocum (1773-1847), a white woman who was kidnapped by Delaware Indians at age 5 and spent the rest of her long life living among Indians; her original family spent nearly 60 years searching for her before finally discovering her still alive, though Shepoconah had long since died by that time. When he became late-deafened, Shepoconah resigned as chief, and with his wife he established a trading post that others called "Deaf Man's Village" and which became very important locally. The post's site now lies underneath the artificial Mississinewa Reservoir, which was created in 1964. Shepoconah and Frances Slocum are buried nearby in a graveyard that was relocated above the new water level.


  • Council Bluffs
    • Iowa School for the Deaf
      • Dobson Street
        This campus roadway honors the deaf Dobson family of father, mother, and three children, all deaf and all of whom attended ISD, two going on to become teachers there.
      • Long Street
        Another roadway that commemorates J. Schuyler Long (1869-1933), possibly ISD's most famous graduate. He was a teacher, newspaper editor, and author of one of the first sign language dictionaries.


  • Olathe
    • Kansas School for the Deaf
      • Emery Hall
        Honors Philip A. Emery (1830-?), deaf founder of KSD.
      • Hubbard Field
        KSD's athletic field is named for alumnus Paul D. Hubbard, who invented the football huddle while at Gallaudet College and returned to teach at KSD.
      • Marra Museum
        One of the country's best museums relating to the deaf, it honors William J. Marra, KSD alumnus and long-time teacher who founded the school's museum collection. It is located in Roberts Hall.
      • Roberts Hall
        Named for Arthur L. Roberts, a distinguished KSD graduate.
      • Taylor Gymnasium
        Commemorates KSD graduate Luther Haden "Dummy" Taylor (1876-1958), who became a professional baseball player with the New York Giants for 9 years before returning to KSD to teach and coach.


  • Danville
    • Clerc Street
      Honors Laurent Clerc (1785-1869), deaf Frenchman who became the first deaf teacher of the deaf in America. It is near Gallaudet Avenue.
    • Kentucky School for the Deaf
      • Argo-McClure Hall
        Named in part to honor George M. McClure, Sr. (1861-1966), a long-time teacher in the school. It serves as the boys' vocational building.
      • Barbee Hall
        Named for Lucy Barbee, the first student enrolled in the Kentucky School.
      • Beauchamp Hall
        Honors James B. Beauchamp, a KSD alumnus who was a teacher and editor of the school newspaper.
      • Clerc Hall
        Built in 1904 and razed sometime before 1981, this was named for Laurent Clerc (1785-1869), deaf Frenchman who became the first deaf teacher of the deaf in America.
      • Fosdick Hall
        Commemorates a graduate of the Kentucky School who went on to become a teacher and supervisor there.
      • Middleton Hall
        Named for both Daniel and Mildred Middleton, KSD graduates employed there as houseparents for a total of 85 years.
      • Thomas Athletic Facility
        Honors Charles A. Thomas, member of the KSD class of 1927, printing instructor and school photographer.


  • Frederick
    • Maryland School for the Deaf
      • Benson Gymnasium
        Honors Harry Benson, student and then teacher at MSD for 60 years. His two hearing daughters both became prominent educators of the deaf.
      • Creager Athletic Field
        Named for Harry T. Creager, one of MSD's outstanding athletes.
      • Veditz Vocational Building
        MSD graduate and teacher George W. Veditz (1861-1937) was also a prominent leader and activist in the deaf community, and campaigned vigorously for the preservation of sign language during a time when ASL was under severe attack by oralist educators.


  • Longmeadow
    • Willie Ross School for the Deaf
      Named for the deaf son of Mr. and Mrs. Gene Ross who, in the mid-1960s, organized a campaign among other western Massachusetts parents of the deaf for a deaf school in their area. It was opened as a private school in June 1967, originally called the Hope School. The following year, the parents group voted to change the name to recognize the deaf boy whose parents had started it all. At first oral, the school now promotes the use of sign language as well as speech.


  • Flint
    • Michigan School for the Deaf
      • Roberts Athletic Field
        Named in honor of Earl Roberts, teacher and coach at MSD.
      • Stevens Hall
        Named for O. Clyde Stevens and his wife Ruth. He was a graduate, teacher, houseparent, coach, and scoutmaster at MSD.
      • Stewart Gymnasium
        Recalls James Stewart, MSD graduate who taught there for 46 years.
      • Zieske Vocational Wing
        Honors Paul Zieske, machine shop instructor at MSD for many years. The name was conferred by an act of the state legislature.


  • Faribault
    • Minnesota School for the Deaf
      • Lauritsen Gymnasium
        Honors Wesley Lauritsen (1898-1992), teacher and athletic director at MSD for over 40 years and also editor of the school journal.
      • Smith Hall
        Named for MSD graduate James L. Smith, who taught there for 50 years.
  • Glyndon
    A town located a few miles east of Moorhead, MN/Fargo, ND. Named for the pseudonym of Laura Redden Searing (1840-1923), a deaf journalist and author who was well-known in her time. Although she wrote under the male pseudonym of "Howard Glyndon", it was no secret that "Glyndon" was a woman.
  • St. Paul
    • Charles Thompson Memorial Hall
      Established in 1915 by Charles Thompson's widow as a way of perpetuating her deaf husband's memory, this building functions as a social club for the deaf and also provides space for local deaf organizations to conduct business meetings and other gatherings.
  • State Route 299/Hansen Highway
    In 1988, this road was officially named in honor of deaf architect Olof Hansen (1862-1933).


  • Fulton
    • Missouri School for the Deaf
      • Farquhar Library
        Honors Grover C. Farquhar, teacher, editor, and librarian at MSD for 42 years.
      • Gannon Cottage
        A dormitory building that honors MSD graduate and noted Deaf historian Jack R. Gannon.
      • Gross Hall
        Commemorates Henry Gross, a deaf teacher at MSD and editor of the school newspaper.
      • Redden Cottage
        A dormitory building named in honor of Laura C. Redden Searing, noted deaf author, poet, journalist and war correspondent, who was an 1858 graduate of MSD.
      • Reid Cottage
        A dormitory building honoring Dick and Martha Reid, principal and teacher at MSD for many years; Dick also wrote the school history book.
      • Ripley Outdoor Science Classroom
        Honors Peter Ripley, MSD superintendent 1984-2001.
      • Shipman Field House
        Named for Ernest Shipman, an outstanding athlete during his MSD student days and subsequently a long-time employee of the School.


  • Park County
    • Deaf Jim Creek
    • Deaf Jim Knob
      A "knob" is a mountain summit. Both of these, in the south central part of the state, are possibly named for the same "Deaf Jim" after whom a spring creek in Idaho is also named, although just who "Deaf Jim" was seems to be lost to history. Though the two states are adjacent, these Montana sites are not contiguous to the Idaho creek, which is entirely separate. The elevation of Deaf Jim Knob is 8210 ft.


  • Dozens of public schools all across the United States, elementary through high school, are named for famed deaf inventor Thomas Alva Edison.


  • Henniker
    • William B. Swett Museum
      The local-history museum of the Henniker [NH] Historical Society is named for William Benjamin Swett (1825-1884), one of Henniker's most distinguished natives. He attended the American School for the Deaf and founded what is now the Beverly School for the Deaf in Massachusetts.


  • Edison
    Located about 25 miles south of Newark, NJ. Named after Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), famous inventor who was deaf. He established the first of his three "invention factories" near the then-rural community of Menlo Park, NJ, and it was there that he invented the light bulb, the phonograph, an improved telephone transmitter, and many other inventions. Although Edison and his associates moved their laboratories and factories to New York City in 1881, the town that had grown up around Menlo Park was named in honor of Edison. His factory remains, well-preserved and intact, as a museum.
  • New Jersey Turnpike, Milepost 92.9 Southbound
    • Thomas Edison Service Center
      This turnpike gas station/rest center, just south of Exit 12, is named for Thomas Alva Edison.
  • Trenton
    • Thomas Edison State College
      Named for Thomas Alva Edison and founded ca. 1973.


  • Santa Fe
    • New Mexico School for the Deaf
      • Dillon Hall
        Named for Thomas J. Dillon, deaf principal of NMSD for many years.
      • Larson Gymnasium
        Named to commemorate Lars M. Larson (1856-1931), NMSD's deaf founder.


  • Falconer
    • Karen Lane
      In 1977, this small town named a street in honor of Falconer native Karen Tellinghuisen following her win of a gold medal in the javelin throw at the 1977 World Games for the Deaf.
  • Rochester
    • National Technical Institute for the Deaf
      • Peter N. Peterson Dormitory
        In 1979, NTID's Dormitory "B" was named in honor of the deaf man who was an early proponent for a national technical college for deaf persons.
      • Robert F. Panara Theater
        Renamed in 2000 in honor of NTID's first deaf faculty member and former Gallaudet College professor (1920- ). He is a poet and long-time promoter of deaf drama and literature.


  • Morganton
    • North Carolina School for the Deaf
      • Crutchfield Hall
        Commemorates the Crutchfield family of deaf persons, most members of which were very active leaders in the school and the local deaf community.
      • McCord Student Union Building
        Honors William S. McCord, a leader in the deaf community and member of the NCSD advisory board.
      • Underhill Gymnasium
        Named for Odie Underhill, a teacher, coach, and editor of the school publication.


  • Piqua
    • Edison Community College
      A two-year general and technical college founded in 1973, named for famed deaf inventor Thomas Alva Edison.


  • Salem
    • Deaf Creek
      Reportedly, a small stream in Salem, Oregon is named "Deaf Creek" because of its proximity to the Oregon School for the Deaf.
    • Oregon School for the Deaf
      • Lindstrom Dormitory
        Named for Thure A. Lindstrom, deaf teacher and sometimes acting superintendent of OSD.


  • McCook County
    • Laurent
      Though this town named in honor of Laurent Clerc (1785-1869) does not yet exist (initial groundbreaking is hoped for 2006), it is an effort to create from scratch a self-governing and self-supporting town consisting entirely of signing persons (not only deaf and hard of hearing persons, but signing hearing persons would be a welcome, large, and integral part of the community too). The would-be founders are taking as a model the old signing community of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, where deafness was once common and nearly everyone, deaf and hearing, signed as a matter of custom. The proposed town site is off Interstate 90 at Exit 368, between Mitchell and Sioux Falls. More information and updates on the plan's progress are at


  • Knoxville
    • Tennessee School for the Deaf
      • William Chambers Football Field
        In 2003, this school's football field was named in honor of William Chambers, long-time football coach at TSD.
  • Townsend
    • Jimmy Cromwell Road
      This tiny town named a street in honor of Townsend native Jimmy Cromwell, after he won two gold medals for swimming at the 1977 World Games for the Deaf.


  • Austin
    • Texas School for the Deaf
      • Lewis Dormitory
        Honors Emily Lewis, the first pupil at the Texas School in 1857 and who subsequently became a teacher there.
  • Deaf Smith County
    Located on the western side of the northern panhandle. Named for Erastus "Deaf" Smith (1787-1837), famous Texas scout, spy, and hero. Ironically, "Deaf" Smith never visited that part of Texas that is named in his honor.
  • Fort Bend County
    • Deaf Smith School
      A hearing public school named after Erastus "Deaf" Smith. It does not contain any educational program for the deaf.


  • Salt Lake City
    • Deaf Smith Canyon
      Located between Big Cottonwood Canyon and Little Cottonwood Canyon. Presumably this is named after the same "Deaf Smith" (Erastus Smith) who was a major Texas hero.
    • Jean Massieu School
      A school for the deaf, apparently established about 2000, that offers a bilingual/bicultural curriculum for deaf children in the 3rd through 8th grades. It is named for Jean Massieu (1722-1846), one of the first deaf teachers of the deaf, who was a student at the Bordeaux, France school for the deaf, then taught at the Paris Institute for the Deaf for 32 years. He then taught briefly at the Rhodez school for the deaf before founding another one at Lille, France.
  • Taylorsville
    • Robert G. Sanderson Community Center of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
      Originally built in 1992 and expanded in 2002, in 2003 the building housing the Utah Community Center of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing was renamed in honor of Dr. Robert G. Sanderson, a leader in Utah's Deaf community.


  • Staunton
    • Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind
      • Bass Hall
        A dormitory named for R. Aumon Bass and his wife Mary Bass, both long-time deaf teachers at VSDB.
      • Lewellyn Gymnasium
        Named about 1954 to commemorate VSDB graduate Thomas C. Lewellyn, who became a coach and teacher there for over 41 years.


  • Vancouver
    • Washington State School for the Deaf
      • Deer Hall
        WSSD alumnus Dewey H. Deer was an outstanding athlete, community leader, teacher and coach.
      • Divine Hall
        Houses the junior and senior high school departments, and is named for Louis and Belle Divine, a deaf couple who taught at WSSD for many years.
      • Hunter Gymnasium
        William S. Hunter was a teacher at WSSD for 49 years and its first coach. The school's gym was named for him in 1938.
      • MacDonald Hall
        A residence hall named for Della MacDonald, a houseparent and school employee for nearly 40 years.
      • Northrop Hall
        Honors Dr. Helen Northrop, for many years a teacher and the first principal of the school. This building houses the elementary school department.


  • Romney
    • West Virginia School for the Deaf
      • Seaton Hall
        Dormitory-infirmary named in 1955 to honor Charles D. Seaton, deaf teacher at WVSD for 42 years.


  • Delavan
    • Wisconsin School for the Deaf
      • Adriana Hall
        A girls' dormitory named for Adriana Chesboros, the young deaf woman who was instrumental in the establishment of the school. It was razed in 1974.
      • Kastner Hall
        Honors August C. Kastner, WSD graduate and boy's supervisor there for almost half a century.
      • Neesam Athletic Field
        Commemorates Frederick J. Neesam, WSD graduate who instituted the School's athletic program and was coach for 41 years.
      • Robinson Hall
        Named for Warren Robinson, WSD graduate who was the School's first gymnastics instructor and national proponent of industrial education for the deaf. Razed in 1972.

Loading  Loading...