When you are off campus, you will be asked for:
- Your last name
- Galludet University ID (Or your library barcode, located on the back of your Gallaudet ID card)
- Which institution you attend (Gallaudet).
You need to enter the information before you can access the database.
For further information about off-campus access, please refer to the "How to log on" guide".
Still having trouble? Please feel free to contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e-book?
An e-book is a book that can be read on a computer or other electronic device. An e-book publisher may make its e-books available through a company that creates collections (called a "provider" in this guide) and makes them available to libraries. Gallaudet University has access to e-books from several providers.
How do I find an e-book?
Go to the Library's web site.
- Use the search box on the Library's website OR click "Classic Catalog" (located below the search box).
- Search as you would for a print book. If you want an e-book specifically, add the keywords "electronic books" (be sure to include the " "). For example: culture "electronic books"
- Select a record that shows BOTH "Electronic Book" and "GA" for "Gallaudet."
- NOTE: Gallaudet community members have access ONLY to the books with the library code "GA" If the e-book does not show "GA," you will not be able to access it.
- Click on the title.
- Scroll down and click "Click here to access the book."
- Log on if you are asked.
How do I know if the book in the Library's catalog is an e-book?
This depends on whether you are using ALADIN Discovery or Classic Catalog
Why do some e-books look different than others?
The library uses several e-book providers. The providers are:
Each provider determines its own appearance. However, they all include:
- A table of contents (TOC) that you can click to jump from one chapter to the next
- The ability to
- to search within the e-book for specific words
- zoom in or out so you can read the text easily
- print a limited number of pages
How long can I download an e-book?
Each e-book provider limits the time a book can be downloaded.
- Ebook Central: Each book has its own limit. Limits range from 24 hours to 21 days.
- eBook Collection: 7 days