Searching in ALADIN Catalog
To search by keyword in the Library's Catalog, see the following examples:
- Enter the following in the Library's Summon Catalog search box: Gallaudet College history
- Enter the following in the Library's Classic Catalog: "Gallaudet College" and history
- Limit the location to Gallaudet University Library
- Click: Search
To search for specific names of former students:
- Using a person's first and last names: Agatha Tiegel
Deaf periodicals, journals, or newsletters are located in the Deaf Periodical area on the first floor; journals are arranged alphabetically by title, no call numbers are needed.
Some video or film resources may be available in the Gallaudet University Video Library. To access: a link is provided in the Library's Catalog record or go directly to the Gallaudet Video Library.
The Library's Catalog may also identify additional resources in the Deaf Biographical File, Gallaudetiana File, or other materials in the Archives.
Note: The Deaf Collection usually acquires two copies of every book and video. Copies are kept in separate collections and locations. Circulating materials are in the Deaf Stacks, Deaf DVD and Deaf VHS located on the first floor. For non-circulating copies known as the Deaf Copy 1, please ask for assistance at the Library Service Desk.
Topics and keywords to use
The following are additional topic/keywords to consider:
- Gallaudet Freshmen
- Class of 1957 (or other class year)
- Football, basketball, volleyball, etc
To narrow the search results in the Library's Catalog:
- Limit the location to Gallaudet
- add keyword: Deaf
Note: the results may include national or state deaf clubs or residential schools. You will have to screen each item.
Through the years, numerous student clubs or organizations formed and ceased. Sometimes, the name of the club changed. At this time, there is no complete list of all of the organizations that currently exist or have existed. To identify student organizations, search in the following:
Library's Classic Catalog with the following keyword terms:
- student activities and deaf
- Greek letter societies and deaf
- sports and deaf
- athletes and deaf
- other terms may be used
The Gallaudet Almanac
- Greek organizations
- Student publications
Films and vidoes
To search for films and videos look in:
Note: currently, a large selection of 16mm fillms and U-matic formats are being preserved and added to the Video Catalog. Items in the Video Catalog are also identified in the Library's Catalog. Materials in the Video Library are online.
Gallaudet University & Student Publications
Gallaudet University publications
- Gallaudet Today--the University's magazine
- On the Green--newsletter for faculty and staff (Archives and partial electronic version from 1981- )
- Daily Digest-- daily news and activities updated daily on the website
- Gallaudet University Homepage--news, subject to frequent changes
Gallaudet University student publications.
- Buff and Blue--student literary and newspaper (Deaf Periodical stacks on microfilm. Soon available online.)
- Buff and Blue You--student newspaper, special edition to the Buff and Blue
- Tower Clock--yearbook (Deaf Stacks, school yearbook area)
- Manus--student literary publication (Archives)
- North West Campus--yearbook--Preparatory class yearbooks, 1983-1995 (Deaf Stacks, school yearbook area)
- Knob Hill News-- the Prep class newspaper, 1956-1993 (Archives)
There is no index available for these publications, each issue must be researched.
Other resources to consider
- Silent World
- Deaf Mute Journal (available online soon)
The following online resources are accessible to everyone.