Searching in the Library's Catalog
To search by keyword in the Library's Catalog, see the following examples:
- Enter the following in the Library's Catalog (Summon) search box: art deaf ordeaf artists
- Enter the following in the Library's Catalog (Classic) art and deaf OR "deaf artists"
- Limit the location to Gallaudet University Library
- Click: Search
To search for specific names of Deaf artists:
- Last names of artists can be used. Examples: Navarrete, Avercamp, Goya, or Pintoricchio (helpful to add keyword: deaf)
- To use a person's first and last names add quotation marks. Example:"Chuck Baird"
Deaf periodicals, journals, or newsletters are located in the Deaf Periodical area on the first floor; journals are arranged alphabetically by title. Call numbers are not needed.
Some video or film resources may be available in the Gallaudet University Video Library. A link is provided in the Library's Catalog record or go directly to the Gallaudet Video Library for access to these resources.
The Library's Catalog may also identify additional resources in the Deaf Biographical File, Deaf Subject File, or materials in the Archives.
Note: The Deaf Collection usually acquires two copies of every book and video. Copies are kept in separate collections and locations. Circulating materials are in the Deaf Stacks, Deaf DVD and Deaf VHS areas located on the first floor. For non-circulating copies known as Deaf Copy 1, please ask for assistance at the Library Service Desk.
Books with collective biographies
- Britain's deaf heritage by Peter Jackson. Edinburgh: Pentland Press Limited, 1990. (Deaf Stacks 305.741 H33b 1990) See: Notable deaf persons 1875-1899 pp.139-158.
- Deaf heritage by Jack R. Gannon. Silver Spring, MD: National Association of the Deaf, 1981. (Deaf Stacks 305.773 G3d 1981)
- Deaf heritage in Canada by Clifton Carbin. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited, 1996. (Deaf Stacks 305.771 C37d 1996)
- Deaf persons in the arts and sciences by Harry G. Lang & Bonnie Meath-Lang. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1995. (Deaf Stacks 920 L35d 1995)
- Deaf way II: featured visual artists hosted by Gallaudet University. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University, 2002. (Deaf Stacks 759.13 D25 2005)
- Gehörlose und hörgeschädigte kunstmaler in Deutschland 2005 by Rudolph Werner. Wuppertal, Germany: Versand & Kunstverlag für Hörgeschädigte, 2005. (Deaf Stacks 709.43 W47g 2005)
- Great deaf Americans by Matthew S. Moore & Robert Panara. Rochester, NY: Deaf Life Press, 1966. 2nd ed. (Deaf Stacks 920 M66g 1996)
- Step into the circle edited by Damara G. Paris & Sharon K. Wood. Salem, OR: AGO Publications, 2002. (Deaf Stacks 305.773 S74 2002)
- Zrimaia muzyka tsveta: glukhie khudozhniki rossii/Visible music in colors: deaf artists in Russia. Moskva: Vserossiaeiskoe obshchestvo glukhikh, 2006. (Deaf Stacks 759.47 Z75 2006) Text in Russian and English.