George W. Veditz Collection
The George W. Veditz Collection is a group of films that were produced by the National Association of the Deaf from 1910 through 1921, for the preservation of "excellent examples" of sign language. The N.A.D. was concerned that "pure" sign language might disappear under the pressures of oralism, and made these films so that future generations might see master signers of the past. In 1965, the N.A.D. transferred these films to Gallaudet University for preservation and to make them more available to people.
In the mid-1980s, this historic N.A.D. film collection was named in honor of Veditz, who had been President of the N.A.D. and who was a lifelong champion for sign language over oralism. This collection contains 15 films in their entirety, without voice-over, captioning, or introductions. (Gallaudet Library call no. VHS 1582). All the individual films are silent, black and white, and very short, none more than 10 minutes long.