The following books are a good place to start your reading. If you don't find the book you want in the Deaf Stacks, be sure to ask at the Library Service Desk about the copy in the Deaf Copy One room.
Deaf studies today: a kaleidoscope of knowledge, learning, and understanding: conference proceedings, edited by Bryan K. Eldredge. Location: Deaf Stacks 305.896 A375, 2001.
Encyclopedia of American disability history, edited by Susan Burch. Location: Deaf Stacks 305.773 E639, 2009
A fair chance in the race of life: the role of Gallaudet University in Deaf history, edited by Brian H. Greenwald and John Vickrey Van Cleve. Location: Deaf Stacks 378.753 F357, 2008
Open your eyes: Deaf studies talking, edited by H-Dirksen L. Bauman. Location: General Stacks 972.9 A37, 2003
To find more books about Audism, click on the search box and type in:
"audism" not video?
- In the "By" box, select "keyword (AND, OR, NOT)"
- If you want to limit your search to books in the Gallaudet University Library, select "Gallaudet" from the drop-down menu in the "location" box
- Click the "search" button
If the Gallaudet University Library doesn't have the item you need, you may borrow it from another WRLC library.
- Click the "request" button
- Enter your last name, Library barcode number, or Gallaudet ID number, and select "Gallaudet" from the "Institution" drop-down menu
- A form will appear. Enter the same number and click "Submit"
It usually takes 2-3 business days for a book to arrive.
If no WRLC library has the item you need, you may request it using the Interlibrary Loan service.
To make your request:
- Log on to your Library account. If you need help, click here.
- Look on the middle column under "Requests from other Libraries"
- Look under "Interlibrary Loan Activity" and click "ILLiad Log in"
- First time users – You will see a "Change Personal Information" page. Complete all the required fields and click "Submit Information"
- Look on the left under "New Request" and click the kind of item you want. Fill out the request form and click “Submit Request”
- When you are finished, close the “ILLiad” tab at the top of the screen